Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Ikat weaving

Ikat weaving from NTT (Nusa Tenggara Timur) is being populer lately, I remember when I was a kid I had some of those out fit from ikat but the fashion by that time was awful, then I never really love to wear out fit from ikat after that.
Last couple years Ikat is booming every where even in the international fashion, talked in many fashion magazines and blogs and my self started to love it few years ago, only wasn't that confidence like now.
My Grandma is one of ikat maker but only my dad's youngest sister learn how to make that, I wish one day  I have time enough to stay in my dad's village without electricity and internet (aarrgghhh hard to imagine) for a month so I can learn how to make it

this is how woman in NTT make ikat, that motive above is from one region in Flores island call Maumere. Picture taken by "made in Indonesia" in made in Indonesia festival in Silver Spring

I just made my own pants from ikat that i found in my mom closet, one of her collection, the motive is from one district in East Flores region call Waibalun. Ikat is not cheap because it is hand made just like ikat from mexico and many latin countries. NTT got more influence for motive from India and Vietnam, don't ask me how it is happen, you can google it easily :p. Avarage price for ikat is about US $50, you can find it cheaper or way expensive depend on size, motive and producing area. In NTT sumba has the most expensive ikat because of the motive. One of my friend from Sumba who has Royal blood has 1 big closet of ikat that she got when she was get married 6 years ago, and it is just tradition that sumbanese believe that if something happen to her husband she can be easily survive with her ikat just by sell it.


my pants made from ikat, comes from Waibalun - East Flores

Today I just made others outfit for my customer and sure from ikat too.  Well one day if you come to NTT don't forget to grab one of this ikat you will not regard to have that, even thou it is expensive. 

the most famous motive from Sumba the out fit made in my sewing shop


Mostly women from NTT wearing their ikat in this way with kebaya and those kebaya are made by me too for sure. Photos taken by Paska Isliko

No comments:

Post a Comment